UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Healthy People Need a Healthy Planet
At UnityPoint Health - Des Moines, we understand our mission to improve the health of our communities through healing, caring and teaching involves a commitment to environmental sustainability.
Several years ago, we chose to embark on our environmental sustainability journey for three main and related reasons:
- People: Public health and environmental health are inextricably tied. In order to wholly care for our communities, we want to do our part in helping ensure clean air and water, access to resources, availability of healthy food and other necessities and help prevent environmentally-linked diseases.
- Profit: To operate more sustainably is to be more efficient and produce less waste. By conserving resources, we are cutting costs, which ultimately reduces healthcare expenses for our patients and families.
- Planet: As a responsible member of our communities, we choose to take an active role in preserving and improving the environment. With our large reach, we are able to have a substantial positive impact and protect our planet for future generations.
In 2012, we made great strides in the following areas:
- Waste Management
- Energy and Water Conservation
- Healthy Spaces
- Green Purchasing
- Sustainable Sites
- Employee and Community Engagement