Tired of the same old dinner routine? You are not alone. If hamburgers and hotdogs just aren't cutting it any longer, then give your taste buds a "dish" of something new with this week's recipe, Sweet Potato Bake!
Sweet potatoes are packed with nutritional value, containing high levels of calcium, potassium and vitamins A and C. Pick up a bag of locally grown sweet potatoes at this week's Downtown Farmers' Market for a fresh twist.
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 3 cups cold, mashed sweet potatoes (approx. 5-6 potatoes)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup soft margarine
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter
- In a mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter, egg substitute, salt and vanilla until smooth. Place in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- In a smaller bowl combine the topping mixture and cut in butter until crumbly. Spread over potato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 205, Carbohydrates: 33g, Fiber: 1.3g, Fat: 5.6g, Sodium: 234mg
While you are picking up your ingredients at The Market, don't forget to stop by the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent located at 3rd & Court to Celebrate John Stoddard Cancer Center Services with our team!