Fall is officially here! And there is truly no better way to welcome the cooler temperatures and shorter days than to bundle up and enjoy a hardy bowl of soup.
This week's recipe takes grandma's famous chicken noodle soup to the next level. Prepare made-from-scratch Chicken Noodle Skillet at your next family dinner for a new, healthy twist on an old favorite. Stop by the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market this Saturday to pick up your fresh, locally grown ingredients.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, without skin cubed
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (peas and carrots or vegetable soup combo)
- 2 cups uncooked ribbon noodles
- 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium if possible)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion for a few minutes; then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover the pan.
- Simmer until the noodles are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Watch your onions carefully. You want them to be golden and flavorful, not blackened or undercooked.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 240; Totat Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 21mg; Sodium: 893mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 13g
While you are out filling your bags full with healthy ingredients at The Market, be sure to stop by the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent to Hit the Walking Trails. After all, the right combination of diet and exercise is just what the doctor ordered!