Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and, like most holidays, it can be a time of indulging in rich, high-calorie feasts that aren't necessarily good for our health or our waistlines.
This week's recipe
offers a healthy alternative to pumpkin pie that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. At just 104 calories per serving, Pumpkin Flan is a guilt-free dessert that doesn't sacrifice taste or flavor. Stop by the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market
to pick up locally grown pumpkin and organic eggs for an even fresher, healthier and tastier treat!
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin
- 12 ounce can of skim evaporated milk
- 1/2 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup egg whites
- Combine items in food processor or in bowl with whisk. Blend smooth but do not over mix.
- Pour into lightly greased glass flan pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees at 50 minutes or until firm in the center.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm or chill for later use.
Garnish your flan with whipped cream and candied ginger. Add about 15 calories per 2 tablespoons of whipped cream and 10 calories per slice of candied ginger.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 104; Total Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 107mg; Total Carbs: 19 g; Sugars: 16g; Protein: 7g
As you are wandering through The Market collecting your fresh ingredients, make sure to visit the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent located at 3rd & Court to receive tailgating nutrition advice
from our friendly and knowledgeable team!