Blank Children's Hospital New Neonatal & Pediatric Critical Care Ambulance
New Life Flight Helicopter
Come see the new Blank Children's Hospital Neonatal & Pediatric
Critical Care Ambulance and the new Life Flight Helicopter on Monday,
What: UnityPoint Health - Des Moines introduces the two newest
members of their transportation fleet. Community and staff are invited
to see up close the new Life Flight helicopter and Pediatric Ambulance.
When: 10:30 a.m. Monday, October 5, 2009
From 1 to 2:30
p.m. media is invited to participate in ride-alongs in either the
helicopter or ambulance. Please let us know if you are interested and
we can work with you to set that up.
Where: Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital
Helipad in the North lot
1200 Pleasant Street, Des Moines
About the New Ambulance:
The Blank Children's Hospital
Neonatal & Pediatric Critical Care Ambulance is the only one of its
kind in the region. Its purpose is for the transport of critically-ill
and injured children and infants. Our specialized pediatric and
neonatal transport teams accompany the ambulance to provide specialized
care for infants and children. The Ambulance was solely made possible
because of the generosity of donors - Variety The Children's Charity,
The Iowa Clinic, City of West Des Moines, R&R Realty and West Des
Moines EMS Association.
Features of the pediatric ambulance:
- Generator enables ambulance to run independently of the engine, if needed, in emergency situations.
- Can accommodate more than one child at a time or two infants in addition to the parents.
- Five seats for providers to ensure that the patient receives the best care while in transport.
- Quad cab enables family members to ride safely with their child.
- Child-friendly features such as a mini-television with DVD for use as distraction or in less-critical situations.
equipped to meet the standards outlined in the American Academy of
Pediatrics Policy Statement (Pediatrics; 124; July 2009).
About the New Life Flight:
For 30 years Life Flight has
been providing quality, rapid air transport for critically-ill and
injured patients. The new EC 145 helicopter was selected because of its
reputation for safe and effective medical transport. Other major
medical institutions such as Mayo Clinic, Vanderbilt and Stanford use
the same model.
Features of Life Flight:
- A more spacious cabin allows for full-patient access optimizing care delivery. Largest medical helicopter in the state.
- The ability to carry two patients or for a family member of a patient being transported.
- Three crew seats to enable crew mix configuration to meet specific patient needs.
- Powerful twin engines with maximum cruise speed of 167 miles per hour.
glass cockpit with night vision goggle capability, terrain avoidance
warning system and IFR capabilities allowing safer transport in various
With the arrival of the helicopter and pediatric ambulance to our
current fleet and specialty teams, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines has a
transportation service unmatched by any other hospital in the state!