Keep Living Well in Des Moines
Keeping active and staying healthy is essential for living well in Des Moines and for enjoying life to the fullest. Living well in Des Moines isn't as hard as it may sound. Now that it is spring, you have the opportunity to go outside and explore the world. You can check out places like Greenwood Park, Saylorville Lake, and Grays Lake. Did you know there are over 1,400 miles of trails in Iowa? You can enjoy biking and hiking on these trails.
Living well in Des Moines also means staying safe, so be sure to follow these key guidelines for hiking or biking.
- Always stay on the trail, even if it is muddy.
- Bring water.
- Pick up after yourself and others.
- Bring two or three friends, to avoid getting isolated if you are injured.
- Do not walk on the edge of the track.
- Pay attention to all signs and barriers.
- Wear a helmet, and other appropriate gear.
- Stay at a speed where you can easily stop if necessary.
- Know the area. Don't go somewhere new where you might get lost.
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Make sure your bike is equipped for where you are biking.
- Don't block the path.
Quick Hint: Riding your bike to work at least once a week can greatly lower your carbon footprint. Plus, it's a great way to start living well in Des Moines!