Burn More, Weigh Less
June 8, 2012
Burning 500 calories more than you consume each day will result in approximately one pound of fat loss per week. Get active, reduce caloric intake or combine the two to see results in your bottom line.
*All calorie values for activity are approximate for a 150-pound woman. Sitting still burns approximately 1 calorie per minute. To adjust calories burned with activity, divide your current weight by 150 and multiply each calorie value by the remainder.
- Clean house - Housework burns 510 calories every 2 1/2 hours.
- Feel fuller - When trying to lose weight, eat two eggs instead of a bagel for breakfast and you are likely to eat 416 fewer calories less the rest of the day. Starting dinner with a low-calorie soup will help you resist 143 calories from the rest of the meal.
- Focus on food - Research shows eating in front of the television increases consumption up to 288 calories. Eat at the table and trade one hour in front of the tube for an after-dinner walk for 527 total calories saved.
- Quit soda - Replace a three-12-ounce-soda-a-day habit with water for a savings of 540 calories.
- Scale back - Swap your 12-inch dinner plate for a 10-inch plate. You will eat 20 to 25 percent less, saving as many as 500 calories.
- Shake it up - Dancing energetically for two hours burns 500 calories.
Begin your weight-loss journey today by visiting Icanlose.com.