UnityPoint Health - Des Moines athletic trainers are currently providing services in Johnston, Norwalk, Urbandale, Waukee, Valley High School and Grand View University. All of our athletic trainers are certified by the National Athletic Trainers' Association and are licensed in the state of Iowa.
Our athletic training department is one-of-a-kind in the Des Moines area because of our ties to the hospitals, physicians and other medical professionals within UnityPoint Health. The services we provide include:
Educational in-services to parents and staff as requested. Some examples include:
- Concussions - Our Medical Director will present educational information to parents on the signs and symptoms of concussions.
- Eating Disorders, Use of Supplements - UnityPoint Health dieticians are available to educate athletes and parents.
- Hygiene to Prevent Infections - Epidemiologists speak on the importance of hygiene during contact sports to prevent infections.
- Crisis Intervention - Counselors available to talk with athletes following a 'tragic event' such as death or injury.
Free Injury Clinic
- A free injury clinic is offered to athletes Monday through Friday during the school year. It is also provided on Saturdays during football season. The clinic consists of an assessment by an orthopaedic surgeon, physical therapist, athletic trainer and/or radiologist.
Health Risk Assessment (HRA) for Athletes
- A new option available for athletes, to identify current and potential health risks in advance.
Evidence Based Research
- Our goal is to work together with our contracted school's leadership to identify additional opportunities to reduce injuries and improve the health of athletes through cutting edge sports medicine technology and research.
- One Example: In 2011 UnityPoint Health developed an ACL prevention program for athletes using evidenced-based research. Des Moines Outpatient Surgery physicians, Dr. Honkamp and Dr. Bremner, assisted with the development of this program. This was implemented in both the Johnston and the Urbandale women's athletic programs.
- Because we have athletic trainers available within UnityPoint Health, we offer exceptional ATC coverage that our competitors cannot. We creatively manage requests for additional ATC coverage for daily practice, special events and less predictable needs.
Accessibility to additional Resources because of IHDM's Community Ties
- Example: Recently, an UnityPoint Health ATC worked with a student who sustained a severe head injury. UnityPoint Health medical and legal specialists were available to the student, his family and the school to provide immediate services following his injury. Due to UnityPoint Health's strong ties with the local community, schools, and our relationship with the Brain Injury Association, a successful fundraiser was coordinated for this injured student athlete. UnityPoint Health also led the community in participation at the Brain Injury Walk. The ATC working in this school was instrumental in bringing UnityPoint Health resources to this student athlete and his family.
Other Program Opportunities
- Coaching Education
- We can plan education on various topics including how to manage the student that suffers from asthma, diabetes, seizures, etc.
- We have a DVD developed on basic taping techniques for coaches.
- We have an acute injury education program that qualifies for CEUs for coaches, and provides information on sideline injuries and treatment.
UnityPoint Health is committed to improving the lives of athletes and families, beyond the walls of our hospital. Our goal is to offer a continuum of care to the community---from the moment the athlete is injured, to the ER, to the operating room, to the hospital stay and then getting them back in the game as quickly as possible. With UnityPoint Health on the sideline, you can be assured that the communication to the parents, coaches and administration will be excellent, as we will follow that athlete through the healthcare maze!
To learn more about our athletic trainers, click here.