While you're at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market this weekend, pick up some fresh, locally grown ingredients for this sure-to-please sandwich featuring caramelized onions and tender strips of beef served on a crusty French bread roll. Download this week's recipe, and collect them all!
1 onion, peel and slice
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, core, slice in thin strips
1 zucchini, slice in thin strips
1 cup chicken broth
8 ounces beef eye of round sandwich steaks, cut in strips
1/8 tsp black pepper to taste
4, 4-inch French rolls, cut in half lengthwise
2 teaspoons mustard
3/4 cup nonfat grated mozzarella cheese
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high. Lightly spray with vegetable oil.
- Add onion strips and saute until brown, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sliced mushrooms, red bell pepper, zucchini and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Uncover, increase heat and add steak strips; cook until beef is done, about 3 more minutes.
- Preheat broiler in oven.
- Spread each sandwich roll with mustard. Fill sandwich rolls open-faced style with veggie/steak mixture.
- Top with cheese and broil open-faced style until cheese melts and is golden.
Calories: 353, Calories from Fat: 156, Total Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Total Sodium: 459mg, Trans Fat: 0g, Total Carbohydrate: 28g, Dietary Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 5g, Total Protein: 22g
While you're downtown shopping for ingredients, be sure to stop by our UnityPoint Health tent located at 3rd & Court. This week, we'll be honoring our local EMS heroes with fun activities and giveaways, thanking them for a job well done!
We'll see you at The Market!