This is the season to DO MORE OUTDOORS! And, while taking advantage of the warmer weather and sunshine, it's important to take precautions to protect ourselves from harmful rays and the notorious Iowa heat.
UnityPoint Health and John Stoddard Cancer Center volunteers will be on-hand at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market this Saturday to provide skin cancer screenings, free sunscreen packets and share tips for sun safety. Also, Dam to Dam participants are invited to stop by the UnityPoint Health tent and show their race number to receive a special giveaway!
In addition to sun safety and Dam to Dam activities, UnityPoint Health will be promoting the Do More Outdoors program, a collaborative effort with Polk County Conservation. Do More Outdoors is a FREE family event scheduled for Sunday, June 9, 2013 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Easter Lake Park (located at 2830 Easter Lake Drive).
There will be plenty of FREE hands-on activities at the Do More Outdoors event for all ages to try, including:
So, gather your family, sunscreen and water bottle and get ready to do more outdoors with UnityPoint Health, Polk County Conservation and the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market!
- Fishing: It's free fishing weekend...no fishing license required! A limited supply of fishing poles and bait will be available.
- Canoeing: Paddle your way around Easter Lake. Canoes and lifejackets will be supplied.
- Geocaching: Hunt for hidden treasures! Bring a photo i.d. to check-out equipment.
- Smart Choices Obstacle Challenge: Kids (and adults) will learn about making healthy choices regarding nutrition, personal safety and exercise.
- Water Safety Education: Information provided by the Army Core of Engineers.