Get a taste of Italy this Saturday, right in downtown Des Moines. This week's recipe calls for angel hair pasta- known in Italian as "capelli d'angelo". Angel hair pasta is the thinnest of the long round pasta noodle shapes, and is a classic ingredient in Italy because it cooks very easily, and compliments delicate sauces and finely cut vegetables and meats.
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta, dry
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, cored, halved and seeded
- 1/2 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- dash granulated garlic
- dash dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions then drain and hold. Meanwhile, preheat your oven broiler.
- Place tomatoes and onion side up in a large baking dish. Roast the vegetables under the broiler until skins turn very brown and blisters (about 10 minutes).
- Place herbs and onions into a food processor or blender. Puree briefly until basil is chopped fine then add the tomatoes and puree until almost smooth.
- Reheat sauce and toss with cooked angel hair pasta. Sprinkle grated Parmesan and fresh cracked black pepper over the top of each.
Calories: 460, Total Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 89mg, Total Carbohydrate: 90g, Dietary Fiber: 5g, Sugars: 6g, Protein: 17g
The Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market boasts open air vendors, fresh vegetables, herbs and handmade pastas. With over 300 vendors, you're bound to experience a taste of Italy right in the Heartland!