School is officially back in session!
And what better way to celebrate the new school year than by taking a big bite out of a juicy red apple?
Join us at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market
this Saturday to make "Yummy Apple Shakeups." Community volunteers from Dowling Catholic High School will be set up at the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent to help your family make a healthy edible craft made from fresh, locally grown apples.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
It's true! Apples are good for more than just sitting on a teacher's desk. They provide many important health benefits that keep us feeling healthier for longer.
- Apples boost our immune systems. Containing 14 percent of our daily recommended intake of vitamin C, apples are considered a good food source for fighting colds, flu and other infections.
- Apples keep us full. Serving apple slices as a snack is a great idea. Loaded with fiber, our bodies take longer to digest apples, keeping our stomachs satisfied until mealtime.
- Apples are brain food. Studies have linked better memories to people who eat apples regularly.
- Apples promote heart health. Maintaining a healthy heart can be as easy as choosing potassium rich fruits like apples.
- Apples fight diabetes. Eating apples comes highly recommended to diabetics by doctors because they help to lower blood sugar levels.
Stop by our tent located at 3rd & Court for a taste of delicious and nutritious fun!