This week's recipe offers the perfect segue into fall! As the leaves begin to change color and the weather starts to cool down, celebrate the new season with Harvest Baked Apples, a yummy treat for the whole family. Head down to the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market this Saturday to collect the fresh, locally-grown ingredients.
- 4 Baking Apples
- 2 Tbsp. Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp. Cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. Dried Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Pecans
- 2 Tsp. Soft Margarine
- 2/3 cup Apple Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Core apples and peel top only. In a small dish, arrange apples, peeled side up. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cranberries and pecans; spoon into center of apples, then top each apple with 1/2 tsp., soft margarine.
- Pour apple juice around apples. Bake uncovered, basting occasionally, 1 hour or until tender.
Serving Size: 1 apple, Calories: 175, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 6g, Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 0g, Fiber: 4.3g, Sodium: 28.6mg
While you're picking up your ingredients at the Market, don't forget to stop by the UnityPoint Health tent located at 3rd & Court to Celebrate Outpatient Therapy Services with our team!