The cold and flu season is upon us and
with it comes confusion: Which one do I have? How should I treat it? And, can I keep it from spreading to others?
Medical professionals from our clinics, including La Clinica
, will be at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers’ Market
to discuss the differences between a common cold and the flu as well as the appropriate preventative measures to take.
Healthy Habits for a Healthy Life
In addition to receiving your flu shot this fall, developing healthy habits is also important for keeping you and your family feeling well all year round.
- Wash your hands, wrists and under your fingernails regularly with soap for 20 seconds
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing with a disposable tissue
- Avoid sharing food or eating utensils with others, even if they do not appear to be sick
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night to maintain a healthy immune system
- Eat a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water with and between meals
- Stay home if you become ill to keep it from spreading to others
Stay Healthy with UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
While you are visiting The Market this Saturday, be sure to stop by our tent located at 3rd & Court. Collect a free hand sanitizer pen that can be used to fight germs on the go and participate in a seasonal kid’s activity. Together we can “fall” into a healthy season ahead!
We’ll see you at The Market!