Oftentimes, eating right means that we must pick between taste and nutrition, but healthy meals can be delicious and nutritious with the right herbs and spices.
Though you may already be utilizing your spice drawer as you begin to cook and bake your seasonal fall favorites, did you know that herbs and spices are good for more than just added flavor?
Health Benefits of Herbs and Spices
Preparing meals with herbs and spices add the same flavor and aroma as other sweet and savory add-ons, but without the calories and fat (for the most part). Next time you sit down to create the dinner menu, consider incorporating these herbs and spices for additional health benefits:
- Cilantro – Perfect with many of your favorite Mexican and Spanish dishes, cilantro is high in Vitamin K, which improves overall bone strength and helps to properly form blood clots.
- Cinnamon – Studies show that cinnamon, specifically cassia cinnamon, may lower blood sugar in diabetics. Cinnamon is also high in fiber, containing about 4 grams per tablespoon.
- Cumin – Many people incorporate cumin into their diet as a source of calcium, iron and magnesium, but it can also improve digestion.
- Ginger – Ginger is often used to alleviate motion sickness, but there is also evidence that it is an effective painkiller for arthritis, menstrual pain, joint pain and muscle soreness.
- Oregano – From relieving heartburn and bloating to helping with coughs and asthma, oregano is good for mind, body and soul.
- Lavender – The smell of lavender is known to promote a relaxed state, making for a better night’s sleep and a less stressful day ahead.
Fresh Herbs and Spices at The Market
When it comes to green herbs, some nutrients and flavor will inevitably be lost in the drying process. Though there is definitely a place for dried herbs in the kitchen, fresh herbs and spices can add an undeniable freshness and taste to a wide variety of dishes.
Stay Healthy with UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
While you are taking in the seasonal aromas of the many herbs and spices available at The Market, don’t forget to stop by the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent located at 3rd & Court to Celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness with our team of friendly and knowledgeable medical professionals.
We’ll see you at The Market!