Diabetes Education Center
Powell Building at Iowa Methodist
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
8 a.m. - 9:30.p.m.
See all Diabetes classes and events
Knowledge is the key to managing your diabetes
The Diabetes Education Center utilizes a team-based approach to diabetes management. Staff includes nurses, dietitians and a secretary all working with each individual's physician to facilitate the common goal of successful diabetes management. The team of healthcare professionals at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines offers information, instruction and support through educational programs and counseling sessions. We work to improve each person's quality of life. We believe that while diabetes cannot be cured, it can be effectively managed by learning important skills. The Diabetes Education Center has received national recognition by the American Diabetes Association and state certification from the Department of Public Health and the Department of Human Services. The professional staff has more then 100 cumulative years in diabetes education.
What makes us different?
- Improved diabetes management through nursing and nutrition consultation, counseling, blood glucose self-monitoring and insulin training.
- Better linkage between the patient's primary medical care and diabetes educators.
- Easy, convenient counseling sessions by appointment.
- Patient-focused educational approach to reduce long-term complications, thereby reducing the likelihood of hospital admissions.
A Team-Based Approach
- Certified diabetes educators, nurses and dietitians
- Group education sessions
- Individual education sessions
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM)