UnityPoint Clinic | Weight Loss at West Des Moines
6600 Westown Parkway, Suite 220
West Des Moines, IA 50266
toll free: 877-220-9727
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Attend a free weight loss surgery information seminar!
Do you Qualify?
Weight loss surgery is a major commitment to a permanent lifestyle change. In order for weight loss (bariatric) surgery to be beneficial, patients must be willing to change their eating patterns and increase their physical activity. Patients must carefully consider their options and understand the necessary commitments before making the decision to proceed.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) greater than 40, or BMI greater than 35 with obesity related disease (diabetes, hypertension).
- New FDA regulations allow the LAP-BAND® to be available to patients with BMIs of 30-35 who have failed more conservative weight reduction alternatives, such as diet, exercise or pharmacotherapy, and who have at least one obesity related health condition. The LAP-BAND® System is only FDA-approved device for bariatric surgery for patients with a BMI of 30-35. (It is recommended patients call their insurance company to see if the device is covered in their plan; not all insurance companies are currently approving surgery based on the new FDA guidelines.)
- History of obesity and documented failed attempts at non-surgical weight-loss treatment
- At least 18 years of age
- Stop smoking at least 3 months prior to surgery
- Attend our bariatric educational class and understand risks of surgery
- Preoperative cardiac/pulmonary clearance
- Preoperative psychiatric evaluation
- Preoperative dietary counseling
- Commitment to long term bariatric care and follow up
- Approval for surgery by our bariatric surgical committee