Life Flight Services
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
If this is an emergency please dial 911.
GPS: N 4135.7 W 9337.9
The Fly-Along Program is temporarily on hold while we orient new staff.
Please check back in the spring for more information on how you can participate.
As part of our mission of being a teaching organization, Life Flight offers a Fly-Along Program for medical professionals. This program allows participants the opportunity to gain experience by being involved in the medical transport service.
- Fly-along participants are expected to act professionally and function as an "observer only" under the direct supervision of the Life Flight crew members.
- Fly-along participants are required to be at least 18 years of age, certified EMT-B, I, P, PS, physician, nurse, resident physician or other healthcare provider as approved by the Life Flight manager.
- Fly-along participants must be in good health and should not be suffering from any illness that is disruptive to operations on the day of their fly-along shift.
- Pregnant females must have a note of permission from their physician prior to flying.
Participants in the Fly-Along Program will be able to:
- Gain understanding of air medical transport.
- Understand hazards of hot loading/unloading of patients.
- Understand the role of the fly-along participant.
- Discuss the unique teams associated with the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.