UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
A team of experienced professionals was assembled to design and build a sustainable hospital that minimizes the impact on our environment. Methodist West Hospital was built in 2009 with the environment in mind. Shive-Hattery, the project architect, won the Grand Place Award for Engineering Excellence from the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of Iowa for its work on Methodist West.
- The concrete structure allows for less vibration, sound transmission and air pollution making it more energy efficient than steel and fireproofing.
- The whole roof area reflects heat, which lessens the summer air conditioning load.
- Methodist West uses 15 percent less energy and 20 percent less water than similar facilities.
- High performance glass for the doors and windows, high efficiency boilers and LED efficient lights all maximize energy.
- Healing gardens and green space focus on preserving the outdoor environment.