Everyone deserves a treat now and then- especially one that is packed with antioxidants and nutrients. Fruit pizza is a fun way to eat an assortment of fruits, and a healthier alternative to cake and pies this summer. It's an easy dessert for kids to help prepare, and they'll love making their own mini pizza with their favorite toppings!
This fruit pizza recipe calls for sugar cookies, which you can adapt to meet your diet goals or restrictions. With this sugar cookie recipe, you can alter the ingredients to make dough that is all-natural, with no artificial sweeteners, gluten-free and low carb!
What You Will Need:
- Individual sugar cookies (packaged or homemade)
- Fat-free, sugar-free vanilla pudding (enough to spread on each cookie)
- Assorted fruits like blueberries, strawberries, kiwi and grapes
This is a great recipe for snack time or birthday parties. Children will enjoy making their very own creations and unique designs with their favorite toppings. And if you really want to mix it up, try substituting a different flavor of pudding, like fat- free, sugar-free butterscotch or chocolate!
- Place cooled sugar cookies face down (flat side up) on a cookie sheet, flat serving platter or surface.
- Rinse, slice and dice assorted fruits into small pieces-These fruits are the "toppings" for your pizza, so they should mimic the size of pepperoni or sausage, etc. Once sliced, you can combine all the fruit into one large bowl, or keep the fruit separated in smaller bowls.
- Using a spoon, "frost" the flat side of each sugar cookie with a light layer of fat-free pudding.
- Place your favorite fruit toppings onto the cookie, gently pushing them into the pudding so they stick in place. Tip: For round fruits like grapes, it's best to slice them in half and place the flat side down, so not to roll off.
- Enjoy your mini fruit pizza right away, or place in the refrigerator to chill for later!
Fruits like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, bananas and apples are loaded with heart healthy and immune-boosting antioxidants and nutrients. Also, pudding is a good source of calcium and a healthier alternative to cream cheese, another popular spread used in other fruit pizza recipes.
Get creative and think of other fun ingredients you can add or substitute to make these treats even more yummy. and healthy!