Heart Surgery and Thoracic Surgery
Choose a cardio-thoracic surgeon that can deliver outstanding results.
A doctor who specializes in cardiothoracic surgery performs operations
on the heart, lungs, valves and other organs in the chest.
Our heart surgeons perform complex heart surgery with outstanding results, and are on the leading edge of very advanced treatment options. Many heart surgery procedures can now be accomplished using minimally-invasive techniques.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines strives to provide each patient and family member with education, support and outstanding medical care, from your first visit to your discharge home.
cardio-thoracic surgeons operate at Iowa Methodist Medical Center and
Iowa Lutheran Hospital in downtown Des Moines. They are supported by a
full team of cardiologists and vascular surgeons.
- CABG (coronary bypass surgery)
- Atrial septal defect repair
- Aortic dissection repair
- Heart valve surgery (repair and replacement)
- MAZE procedure to treat atrial fibrillation
- TMR (transmyocardial revascularization)
- SAVER procedure (surgical anterior ventricular endocardial restoration)
- Complex surgery for patients who have undergone one or more previous cardiac operations
- Lung surgery