Eat Like a European?
Posted: March 18, 2013
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
We might want to take some diet advice from our European friends from across "the pond." Research has shown following a Mediterranean-inspired diet (heart-healthy eating pattern based on traditional food and cooking styles) reduces your risk of heart disease and other chronic diseases.
Eatright.org explains what this diet places an emphasis on:
- Plenty of exercise and enjoying meals with others.
- Eating fish or shellfish at least twice a week.
- Eating plant-based foods like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nuts.
- Replacing butter with healthy, liquid fats like olive oil.
- Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods.
- Small portions of red meat.
- Red wine, in moderation, if appropriate.