Every week, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines will share a healthy recipe with fresh ingredients you can find at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market! Check out our favorite recipes and inspirations on our LiveWell recipe page and on Pinterest, as we spread the word that healthy eating is both nutritious and delicious. Download this week's recipe and collect them all. Enjoy!
1 lb. asparagus
1 oz. dried wild mushroom medley
1 cup very hot water
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 stalks celery
1 small onion
Head fennel (anise)
4 sprigs fresh thyme
Pinch cayenne pepper
Ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon dry Marsala wine
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2 cups vegetable stock
2 oz. pine nuts
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Wash and cut off the tough bottoms of the asparagus spears.
3. Place the asparagus spears into a single layer on a baking sheet.
4. Spray the spears with olive oil (1 teaspoon olive oil sprayed on spears).
5. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Allow the spears to cool and cut into 1-inch pieces.
6. Reconstitute dried mushrooms in 1 cup very hot water.
7. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in non-stick sauce pan over medium-high heat and add diced celery, carrots, onions and fennel, and sauté until onions are translucent.
8. Add thyme, cayenne pepper, sage, chopped parsley, Marsala wine, bay leaf, garlic powder, onion powder, and keep stirring for 1 more minute over heat.
9. Add vegetable stock, liquid from the dried mushrooms and diced wild mushroom.
10. Simmer for 15 minutes.
11. Place the asparagus pieces in the bottom of the dish, add stew and sprinkle pine nuts over the top
12. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 97, Total Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 0.6g, Monosaturated Fat: 2.2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.7g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Calcium: 40 mg, Sodium: 28 mg, Phosphorus: 96mg, Potassium 335mg, Total Carbohydrates: 9.6g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3.3g, Protein: 3g
This stew is layered with flavor and has several health benefits! Asparagus is loaded with fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, and is packed with antioxidants! Combine that with the potent anti-cancer properties of mushrooms, and your stomach won't be the only thing thanking you for this dish!
Be sure to check back every week for new recipes, and stop by our booth located at 3rd & Court for more health-related tips and fun family activities.
We'll see you at The Market!