This Saturday is one of the year's biggest sporting events in Iowa as the Hawks and the Cyclones battle it out on the football field. But every day, thousands of other central Iowa athletes and weekend warriors will take to the fields, courts and gyms to participate in their favorite activities.
No matter which team you are rooting for, inevitable injuries will occur and require physical therapy. This week at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market, the UnityPoint Health experts from Outpatient Therapy will be on hand to discuss injury prevention tips as well as therapy and rehabilitation options.
From the Sidelines to Center Court
Whether you are kicking the ball, swinging the racket or shooting some hoops, taking simple precautions can have a big impact on your performance. Next time you lace up for the big game, follow these important steps to prevent sport-related injuries:
- Wear the proper gear including helmets, mouthpieces, eyewear and padding
- Increase flexibility by stretching before and after practices and games
- Condition your muscles to strengthen your body for game day
- Drink plenty of water during any type of exercise
- Take a day off each week to allow your body to recover
- Stop if something hurts to avoid further injury
Score Big with UnityPoint Health!
Stop by our tent at 3rd and Court to score your own mini football or volleyball as well as safety tips from UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. You will be well on your way to a healthy and rewarding season ahead!
We'll See You at the Market!