Your Best Defense
Posted: March 6, 2013
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
One of the best ways to keep bacteria, infections and viruses at bay is by maintaining a strong immune system. Protecting yourself against illnesses is as easy as eating nutrient-rich foods on a daily basis. Creating healthy habits today will benefit you now and down the road.
Follow these suggestions from eatright.org for building up your immune system:
- Start each day with a healthy breakfast that includes whole grains and foods packed with calcium, vitamin D and vitamin C.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains like whole-grain breads, cereals and brown rice.
- Pre-washed salad greens and pre-cut vegetables make great quick meals or snacks.
- Choose fresh, frozen or canned whole fruit for snacks and desserts.
- Don't forget beans, which are rich in fiber, folate and flavanoids.
To learn more about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to a healthful eating plan, consult a registered dietitian and visit the Vitamins and Nutrients page from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website, www.eatright.org.