Heart-Pumping Family Activities Around Des Moines
Posted: March 29, 2013
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
Spring is a season full of activity! Leaves are budding, flowers are blooming and temps are on the rise, making it the perfect time get off the couch, head outside and explore!
Here are some FUN ways you can get your family's heart-a-pumping around Des Moines this spring:
- Take a Hike! Polk County offers several hiking trails for you to explore, like those at Thomas Mitchell Park, Brown's Woods and Four Mile Creek Greenbelt. Paved or mulched trails will do the trick, or work the heart a little more by exploring hills or a rougher terrain.
- Go for a Walk or Run! Des Moines was named a "Runner Friendly Community" in 2012 for a reason! The area is packed full of paved trails, like the 2.0 mile loop around Grey's lake and the 25-mile High Trestle Trail from Ankeny to Woodward.
- Take a Swing at Golf! Des Moines has a number of courses for players of all levels. Try the Par 3 course at Jester Park, or head to the public 18-hole courses of Grand View, Waveland or Blank. Not ready for a course quite yet? Start at a driving range or putting green!
- Go Fly a Kite! Windy days might put a damper on golf, but they're perfect for flying a kite. This is a fun activity for families with little ones, and all the running and laughing you'll do is great for the heart!
- Go Puddle Jumping! Don't let the April showers keep you indoors. Throw on some galoshes make a splash walking in the rain and jumping through puddles. Hopping, skipping and jumping quickly elevate heart rate... and your kids (and you) will love it!
- Have a Bike Parade! Let the kids decorate their bikes with streamers and balloons, then head out through the neighborhood to show off your spirit. Biking is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that strengthens muscles and promotes balance and coordination.
Whether you're 5 years old or 75 years young, exercise should be a part of your daily routine. So, the next time you're sitting around the house on a beautiful day... go OUTSIDE and get ACTIVE! Physical activity decreases your risk of heart disease and stroke by strengthening the heart muscle, increasing endurance and your overall health.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines- Des Moines cares about you and your family. For more information about our heart and vascular care, please visit the cardiovascular services section on our website.
- Go Rock Climbing! Central Iowa is pretty flat, but try thinking outside of the box- or, rock. Here in Des Moines, Climb Iowa and SportsPlex West offer indoor climbing walls and training areas for the novice and experienced climbers. A challenging activity for all ages!