This Saturday at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market, gather fresh ingredients for a tasty brunch! Mushrooms and spinach are low in calories and rich in cancer-fighting antioxidants and more than 20 different nutrients. Gouda cheese is high in vitamin K2, calcium and phosphorous, and a great source of protein. Download this week's recipe and collect them all. Enjoy!
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup chopped Vidalia onion
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 cups packed baby spinach leaves or torn Swiss chard
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
½ cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese divided
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Add spinach; cover and cook 1 minute or just until spinach is wilted.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, ¼ cup cheese, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Add spinach mixture; mix well.
- Pour mixture into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking, spray.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese over frittata.
- Bake 30 minutes or until eggs are set in center and cheese has melted.
- Cut into 4 wedges, and ENJOY!
Calories: 158, Total Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Protein: 13g, Total carbohydrates: 6g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Cholesterol: 125mg, Iron: 2mg, Sodium: 339mg, Calcium: 155mg
Mushrooms and spinach aren't the only options for a tasty frittata. Try thinking of other fresh ingredients you could substitute based on the season! Find more favorite recipes and inspirations on our LiveWell recipe page and on Pinterest, as we spread the word that healthy eating is both nutritious and delicious!
Be sure to stop by our booth located at 3rd & Court for more health tips and fun family activities. We'll see you at The Market!