In celebration of National Bike Month and Bike Week, UnityPoint Health wants to make sure your biking adventures are both fun AND safe! Stop by the UnityPoint Health booth this Saturday at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market to have your bike helmets checked for safety and fit, and sign up for a special prize giveaway.
Be Responsible & Stay Safe!
Biking is an enjoyable, independent and healthy activity, but it's important to remember that a bicycle is not a toy. It's a vehicle!
It's important to follow some basic bike safety tips:
Many bicycle-related crashes resulting in injury or death are associated with the bicyclist's behavior. To maximize your safety, always wear a helmet AND follow the rules of the road!
- Wear a properly fitted bicycle helmet - protect your brain, protect your life!
- Adjust your seat and handlebars to an appropriate height, to avoid injury.
- Check tires and brakes before riding - make sure all your equipment is working.
- Be seen - Wear neon or other bright colors when riding day or night. Reflective tape or a flashing light also makes you more visible to drivers. Just because you see cars, doesn't mean they can see you!
- Control your bicycle - Keep hold of the handlebars at all times, and use a backpack or bike carrier to carry loose items.
- Look out for road hazards - Avoid glass, potholes, gravel and even dogs... all of which can cause a crash.
- Avoid riding at night - Less light makes you harder to see, no matter the color you're wearing. If you have to ride in the dark, make sure you have reflectors on the front and rear of your bike and a flashing light.
Be sure to stop by the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines booth located at 3rd and Court to have your bike helmets checked for safety and fit. And while you're there, sign up for a special prize giveaway!
We'll see you at The Market!