Enchiladas are a popular Tex-Mex dish that is quick and easy to make in 4 simple steps. At just 208 calories per serving, this week's recipe for healthy chicken enchiladas is sure to satisfy even the pickiest of pallets.
Don't forget to pick up locally grown ingredients at the Downtown Des Moines Farmers' Market this Saturday to give your enchiladas an even fresher, more flavorful kick!
Ingredients (5 Servings of 2 Enchiladas)
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped mild pepper such as poblano, pasilla or anaheim (or use bell pepper)
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili pepper
- 1 chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 10 corn tortillas
- Make the enchilada sauce by adding all ingredients to small sauce pan, whisking smooth, bringing to a boil and then lowering to a simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make the enchiladas: Saute the onions and peppers, add the seasoning then add the shredded chicken. Cook until the veggies are crisp tender, about 6 minutes.
- Heat all the corn tortillas together for 30 seconds in the microwave. Roll the tortillas up with a little chicken filling in each one. Place the stuffed tortillas side by side in a lightly oiled (use spray) rectangular or square baking dish with the seam side down. Cover with the sauce and top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven. The enchiladas are done when the sauce bubbles and the cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories: 208; Total Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 12mg; Sodium: 84mg; Total Carbs: 36g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 10g
As you are making your way through The Market, be sure to stop by the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines tent located at 3rd & Court to fight the flu with tips and tricks from our trusted team of medical professionals.
We'll see you at The Market!