Packing A Hospital Bag
Schedule a tour at any of our maternity centers!
Our Maternity Centers:
Our Maternity Center Photo Galleries
Can't find your answer? Use the Submit a Question Form!
Packing a Hospital Bag for Your Delivery
Many expecting parents are curious on what they should bring to the hospital for their delivery and the following will hopefully provide some guidance. We recommend having a bag packed about a month before the baby's due date. Pack as many of the items beforehand as you can. Make a checklist of those items that you use on a daily basis but will need to pack before leaving for the hospital.
Items For Mom
- Nightgown and bathrobe
- Nursing bra/tank
- Nursing pads
- Hair ties
- Eyeglasses if you wear contacts
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, lip balm, lotion, deodorant
- Comfortable and loose fitting clothing to wear home
Items For Baby
- Going home outfit for baby
- Outfit, hat, or special items for newborns photos
- Baby socks
- Baby mittens to keep baby from scratching his/her face
- Baby hat
- Baby car seat. This is a requirement at our hospitals before the baby can be discharged. (Call the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT for more information on the safety rating of a particular model.) A car seat is required by law and should be properly installed in your car before you go to the hospital.
Items For Labor Partner
- Phone list of contacts to announce birth to friends and family; cell phone, phone card, calling card, or change for calls
- Snacks and drinks for the coach, and, if allowed by the hospital, for you. All three Maternity Centers provide nourishment stations for mom and her labor partner but feel free to bring specific items if you wish.
- Massage rollers to relieve back pain due to labor
- The object you've chosen to use to focus your attention during labor (the "focal point")
Items For Hospital Staff
- Health plan insurance card
- Birth preferences
- Your pediatrician's name and contact information, so the hospital can let the office know your baby has arrived
Other Important Items
- Camera, still or video or both, film, batteries, videotapes
- Camera, phone and laptop chargers
- Laptop (Wireless internet access is available at all three hospitals)
- Books, magazines
- Music (portable music player; favorite tapes, or CDs)
- Inspirational items such as rocks, crystals, lockets, and photographs.
- If you have other children, many parents will purchase and bring a gift for older siblings to have when they visit the hospital.