Powell Chemical Dependency Center
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
700 E. University
Des Moines, IA 50315
p: (515) 263-2424
(located on the 4th floor of Iowa Lutheran Hospital)
Powell CDC Bookstore
Powell Bookstore, located on the fourth floor of Iowa Lutheran Hospital, offers books for the recovering family and individuals seeking answers. There are books from healing to remedies to stay clean and sober. There are books analyzing various addictions to explaining rehabilitation. You will find topics from abuse to dependence and neglect of ones self to the feelings of enslavement over an addiction.
Some of the materials sold in the book store:
- Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book
- 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
- Alateen Books and meditation books for those teenagers living in a household where there is alcoholism or other drugs.
- Books for those affected by various addictions of: alcohol, drugs, tobacco, gambling, sex and other compulsions.
- CD's and DVD's on addictions. Dr. Weis' DVD on Addiction is sold here as well.
- Large Print Big Books and 12 Steps and 12 Traditions
- Calling cards with sobriety sayings on them
- Medallions for sobriety anniversaries and leather cases
- Sobriety Greeting Cards
- Al-Anon and Alateen Books, Workbooks, and meditation books for the spouses, significant others and children and friends of those addicted.
For book of the month recommendations click here.
It's Up to You: A Practice to Change Your Life by Changing Your Mind
This small book will change everything if you let it. Nothing could be simpler or more profound. Begin the morning with a simple "paying attention" meditation. Take just a few minutes. During the day, remember what you're paying attention to, when the thought occurs, no rules. In the evening, just before bed, take a few more minutes to assess how the day went.
This practice is all about focusing on solutions not problems, letting go of preconceived notions, acting instead of reacting, giving up judgments and trying to be in control. As we quiet our minds, we begin to discern our mind's own truth. It's Up to You offers 12 principles for changing your life by changing your thinking, with seven days' worth of morning and evening meditations for each.
Karen Casey is the author of eighteen books, including bestselling Change Your Mind and Your Life Will Follow, based on these same 12 principles.
"Progress is guaranteed. Perfection isn't expected." -Karen Casey