As a Level 1 Trauma Center, Iowa Methodist Medical Center is dedicated to research and scholarly activities in the area of traumatic injury. Studies have shown that patient outcomes are improved if an organized trauma system includes interaction between basic research and clinical care. Our research program seeks to advance clinical knowledge but also to optimize and improve the care of injured patients.
At IMMC, trauma research addresses major issues of trauma across the entire timeline of trauma patient care, from the prehospital setting to discharge. Trauma Services is currently conducting a significant number of research projects, all designed to enhance the trauma system's ability to resuscitate, stabilize and treat critically ill patients. Specific research emphases include:
- Early mobility of critically-ill patients.
- Pain management for geriatric trauma patients.
- Treatment of depression in trauma patients.
- Implementation of critical care protocols.
- Educating the EMS community about the importance of tourniquets.
Research has recently been published in The Journal of Trauma Nursing
, The Journal of Rural Health
, and Traffic Injury Prevention
, and presented at local and national research conferences.